'Good' Awarded in Siams Inspection
We are pleased to let you know that we were awarded a ‘Good’ outcome in the Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools (SIAMS) inspection two weeks ago. A big thank you to all the staff, children, governors, parents and carers who contributed to the day in speaking to the Inspector, Mrs Sally Jenkins. It was a good experience to work with Sally and the day was a good time to reflect on our school with a very experienced and helpful inspector.
“Since the last inspection three Christian values, faith, love and courage, have been established at the heart of the school and these are clearly expressed by all members of the community”
“The vision statement ‘Together we’re Aiming High”, can be explained by pupils, staff, governors and parents and all are clearly proud of their school and the importance of each person achieving their best in all areas of their lives”
“Behaviour in lessons, around the school and on the playground is very good”
“Parents speak passionately about the school and the impact it has on the lives of the children and wider family. They appreciate the school’s Christian distinctiveness and the support and care their children receive alongside the academic achievements”
Please read the rest of the report which can be found at the foot of this page.
As you may be aware the inspection is very different to the Ofsted process being focussed upon the Christian aspect of this school as a Church School. This additional inspection layer beyond that of Ofsted or Hampshire Local Authority gives an important perspective through our being a Church of England school and offers a unique rigour for parents and carers in choosing to send your children to a Church of England School. As with Ofsted inspections the process is reviewed and the criteria had changed since the last inspection in 2013. It is set to change again this September, so when we are next inspected (in another five years in 2023) it will again be under a new framework. If you would like to know more about the SIAMS criteria you can read more by clicking here.
In the last inspection the school was given two targets to work on;
- With the change of leadership there are opportunities for the foundation governors to re-establish the core Christian values and to underpin the key strategic development of the school as a church school.
- Make more explicit the school’s distinctive Christian character, whilst maintaining high quality provision and pupil achievement.
We have now been set three new targets;
- Ensure that all stakeholders fully understand and can articulate the Christian basis of the school’s values and express this within all aspects of worship, clearly linking them to the Bible.
- Further develop pupils’ understanding and use of prayer, including a greater awareness of God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Ensure spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is made more explicit throughout the curriculum as a pupil level and that its impact is tracked by staff and governors.
Governors and staff will discuss and plan how to build these next steps into the strategic planning of the school and we will be seeking the views of pupils, parents and carers in order to hear your opinions and ideas within this process.
Thank you for your support and encouragement in helping us to continue to develop our school together.
Mrs Katy Pinchess, Headteacher