this week at Bentley..................
I want to say a big thank you to everyone for their kinds words and many hugs this week. It has been a great send off. A big thank you to you all for my Bentley painting and special teddy which will remind me of all of you. After much thought, I have decided that the amazing legacy gift donation of £875.29 will go towards a Mrs Pinchess Reading Cup award for ‘Great Reading’. The rest of the money should be spent on new furniture for the staff room…something I have not had the budget to do, but much needed for our super staff team.
As one of my pupils reminded me yesterday, ‘once a friend of Bentley, always a friend of Bentley!’ and I will certainly be keen to hear how all our lovely children progress in the future. It has been a great ten years and I am excited about my next adventures.
In school this week…
On Monday we all took part in the PTFA Bunny Run…it was great fun and the sponsorship raised funds for amazing school projects for all children
On Tuesday there were some secret surprise preparations going on in school whilst I was out at Huckleberries Nurture Farm with a group of inquisitive learners!
On Wednesday everyone enjoyed tasting Gambian ‘wonjo’ juice as a well done for all the great fundraising for Kaira Konko this year.
Year 3 had a great visit to the Hindu temple and Miss Hastie was really proud of their respectful behaviour and interest.
On Thursday we celebrated excellent behaviour with our STEP awards, Kindness Cup and Values Cups all presented.
On Friday we ended the chilly/rainy/snowy term with a super Easter service at St Mary’s Church led by Years 3 and 4.
Have a really relaxing Easter break everyone and Mrs Miffling and the team will look forward to welcoming you all back on Monday 17th April for a fun filled summer term. I know you will all give your support to Mrs Miffling, as Acting Headteacher, next term and in turn to Mrs Hallett who starts at Bentley in September. They will both be splendid and the school is very blessed to have their leadership.
Until our paths cross again, I wish the Bentley staff, our community, you and your children all the very best. Happy holidays!
Proud, former headteacher of Bentley CE Primary School
Congratulations to our Kindness Cup winner Poppy from year 5, and our Values Cup winners Poppy C from year 6 and Rhys from year 4. The cups are well deserved.
Well done too, to all our nominees.
For kindness; Kate (yr6), Barnes (yr.4), Rayyan (yr.3), Elliott (yr.2), Eesah (yr.1) and Heidi (yr.R).
For values; Oscar (yr.6), Darcy (yr.5), Lexi A (yr.4), Alex (yr.3), Alana (yr.2), Erin (Yr.1), Ruby (yr.R).
We also proudly awarded S.T.E.P. (Sorry, Thank You, Excuse Me, Please) certificates and badges to three children from each class this week. Good manners are not only encouraged, but expected at Bentley and our children’s excellent manners and behaviour is often mentioned by parents, relatives and visitors who come to the school, as well as when pupils are out on school visits.
The following children have shown superb manners over the term, in many different situations and were nominated by their teacher and endorsed by all staff, for a S.T.E.P award:
Year R – Charlie, George, Mimi
Year 1 – Finn, Zach, Annika
Year 2 – Frankie, Indianna, Edie
Year 3 – Holly, Rayyan, Alex
Year 4 – Hamish, Chloe, Eleanor
Year 5 – Jessica, Florence, Percy
Year 6 – Francis, Eva, Sophie
Eco Council – Litter Picker Backpacks
Over the last few months the Eco Council has been discussing how to make our environment a better place and we have decided to tackle litter as one of our projects for the Eco Schools Award. After Easter we would like to introduce the Litter Picker Backpack to each class which will contain a litter picker, bags and gloves. The Litter Picker Backpacks will be hired out at weekends and holidays so that families can go litter picking wherever you want!
To carry out this mission, we urgently need your help! Please could you bring in any unwanted backpacks and give them to your class’s Eco Council rep! These need to be big enough to contain a long litter picker as well as bags and gloves.
Thank you very much.
Francis and Kate
Eco Council Year 6 Leaders
Jam Coding are running an Easter holiday club and sessions for years 3 to 6 next term. Please see the flyers in the community page.
Holiday Activities and Food Programme - Easter 2023
You will find the details of providers who are offering free places for eligible children over the holiday period on the community page. These are being provided through the DfE's Holiday Activity and Food Fund scheme. These fun and educational activity sessions are for vulnerable children and young people, which includes those eligible for free school meals as a minimum. Eligibility will be expanded where possible.
Wow! What a term! We would like to thank everyone who helped and contributed to the success of the events this term.
- Brilliant film nights, filled with giggles, popcorn and onesies!
- Break the rules day…great fun for the children, causing mayhem for the teaching staff!
- Dancing away at the disco!
- Pizzas and cookies
- Lots of cake sales!
- A hippity hoppity bunny run! This raised a massive £1200 and was such good fun for the children. What a fun way to get active, get some fresh air and raise money!
- A fab send off for Mrs Pinchess. The ‘fun room’ kept kids entertained, the magician wowed us all and the bbq and bar kept us all happy!
What is coming up next term?
There is so much to look forward to!
- Ice cream sales (bring on the sun!) – first one on 19th May
- Summer fair – after school on Friday 23rd June. Expect sunshine, fun and a chance to catch up with friends. Please keep an eye out for more information.
- We have sponsorship from Hamptons Estate Agents for this event, and will be looking for houses to volunteer have a sign outside to advertise this event. Please let us know if you’d be happy to be one of these families or know someone who would.
- Bentley Bike Ride! This year this event is aimed at families and riders who want a challenge of a 30km ride. We recommend families with teen children (aged 9+ if they are experienced cyclists). Please share the word! Each family sign up is £75 minimum sponsorship. Please see the poster for more information. All riders and families will be welcomed back to school with a BBQ! Here is a launch video explaining the event and how to enter. The launch video refers to this Google Form
- Once again, the PTFA will have an ice cream and drinks stall at Bentley Fete. Please get involved.
- Camping night on Froyle Rec! This is going to be such a fun event! Pitch up for 1 night at Froyle recreation ground on the last weekend of term. We can play in the park, have bbqs, toast marshmallows and sit round the camp fire. Tickets are available for this NOW via the PTFA website. Book early to avoid disappointment. We can only have a limited number of pitches. Each pitch booking MUST have an adult accompanying. Each pitch is £25, which includes breakfast on Sunday morning.
Our next uniform sale is FRIDAY 21st April, after school. Please do come and have a look for cheap second hand uniform. We would like to give a big shout out to Tam, who has put so much time into sorting the masses of uniform we have in the shed, thank you. Please only donate uniform if it is really high quality. We have so much stock that we have to be ruthless!
These uniform sales are now run by reps, and profits go towards that year groups’ PE supplies. This time is Year 4’s turn. Please help your reps set up and pack away for this sale.
We’re on the look out for…
- Jugs! Plastic ideally.
- Rails for the uniform
If you have either of these things to donate, please let one of us know.
We have raised a lot of money this term, and it is so appreciated. We know times are tough for everyone at the moment – this is the case for the school too. These extra funds help boost the budget and means we can continue to give our children the best education and school experience possible. Let’s keep it going!
We wish you all a lovely Easter break. 😊
Love Molly, Sarah and Sarah
The PTFA has a new Instagram account! Follow and keep up to date via this link: